Selling Schlage

In 1961 & 1962, Schlage had an ad campaign using architects to design entries to homes. It’s a great way to sell a doorknob. Don’t know the history of this, but some of the architects (Anshen & Allen, Campbell & Wong and Rockrise) are still known of today. The others, Cohen, Pettersen and Wright (that’s Ernest), not so much unfortunately.

Architect: Anshen & Allen – 1961

Continue reading “Selling Schlage”

Advertisements

Don Knorr – Case Study House No. 19 (1957)

Designed for a young couple and their son, this unbuilt design by Don Knorr was the first home in the Case Study program to be located outside southern California. The H-shaped plan consisted of the child’s bedroom and play area as well as the guest quarters. The other wing of the house, connected to the first wing by a glazed hallway, held the master bedroom, dining room, kitchen and study. This distinct separation of areas was carried though to the outdoors where the pool and barbecue were placed at a distance from the house. – A Genealogy of Los Angeles Futures

Although the house was drawn all the way up to its construction documents, it was never built due to the client’s financial difficulties. Instead, Knorr built a similar project – the Hilmer House – on a lot in the same area, and in it he implemented the same adobe and steel technology. – NorCalMod: Icons of Northern California Modernist Architecture

Continue reading “Don Knorr – Case Study House No. 19 (1957)”

A. Quincy Jones & Frederick E. Emmons – X-100, 1586 Lexington Ave. San Mateo, CA – 1956

According to the CA Modernist, Dave Weinstein, over at the Eicher Network, the X-100 is likely to be placed on the National Register this April. It is being restored by its owner, Marty Arbunich, Eichler Network director and CA-Modern magazine publisher. So, we should see it looking a lot like you see it here.

Go check out the article – Eichler’s X-100 Aims for the National Register

Continue reading “A. Quincy Jones & Frederick E. Emmons – X-100, 1586 Lexington Ave. San Mateo, CA – 1956”